The Pakistani entertainment industry rising and leaving its mark on the international film festivals. In the past decade, there have been a lot of achievements unlocked for Pakistan when it comes to films and entertainment.
Pakistani filmmakers making their way to the world of international film festivals and making the nation proud. Saim Sadiq Pakistani filmmaker joined the others and officially his film “Joyland” was selected to be screened at the 75th anniversary of the prestigious annual film festival.
On Thursday, Cannes took the whole announcement thing to their official Twitter handle and shared the news with everyone. Soon the news spread out, and many Pakistani celebrities jumped in to congratulate Saim Sadiq and appreciated his efforts.
Celebrities congratulating Saim Sadiq
Undoubtedly it’s an amazing moment not only for Saim but for the whole nation and it’s a great platform where Pakistani artists can showcase their work. For those who don’t know, Cannes is one of the biggest film festivals, in which a lot of films from all over the world are submitted and very few are selected to be screened.
The category for feature films only takes in a limited number of 14 films and it’s a moment of pride for the Pakistani people.
One of the cast members Actor Sana Jafri who’s also starring in the feature film along with Ali Junejo took to Instagram with a screenshot from Cannes official website that displayed their film’s name in the category Uncertain Regard. She wrote, “Yeah guys, this is real. It has happened, history has been created again. [This is] the first Pakistani feature film at Festival De Cannes!”
As the news spread all over the social media platform, actors and directors of our entertainment industry praised the team of Joyland. Mahira Khan retweeted the announcement and wrote, “This is amazing! Congratulations to the entire team. And to Pakistan!”
Osman Khalid Butt also reshared the big “fantastic” news and wrote, “This is FANTASTIC. What a huge moment for Pakistani cinema. Congratulations, Saim and the entire team of Joyland!”
Celebrities like Adnan Malik had a brilliant morning and shared their happiness on their Instagram story. He wrote, “This is some incredible news to wake up to. Congratulations Saim Sadiq and team.”
Oscar-winner Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy also took to her Instagram story to take pride in Saim’s achievement for the country. “There’s a Pakistani film at Cannes this year. Saim Sadiq, I cannot be more proud,” read the caption.
Nimra Bucha who was last seen roaming in Ms.Marvel’s latest teaser also wrote, “Cannes Meri Jaan. Saim Sadiq makes us proud every second of the year.”
“So proud of you, Saim Sadiq! Mommy loves you” wrote Nadia Afgan as she posted Cannes’ official tweet on her story.
Complete the official selection list for Cannes 2022
Let’s have a look at the complete list of films selected for Cannes.
- Eo, Jerzy Skolimowski
- Tchaïkovski’s Wife, Kirill Serebrennikov
- Boy From Heaven, Tarik Saleh
- Leila’s Brothers, Saeed Roustaee
- Showing Up, Kelly Reichardt
- Decision To Leave, Park Chan-Wook
- Triangle Of Sadness, Ruben Östlund
- RMN, Cristian Mungiu
- Nostalgia, Mario Martone
- Broker, Hirokazu Kore-eda
- Armageddon Time, James Gray
- Close, Lukas Dhont
- Frère Et Sœur, Arnaud Desplechin
- Stars At Noon, Claire Denis
- Tori And Lokita, Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne
- Crimes Of The Future, David Cronenberg
- Les Amandiers, Valeria Bruni Tedeschi
- Holy Spider, Ali Abbasi
Out Of Competition
- Z, Michel Hazanavicius (Opening film)
- Masquerade, Nicolas Bedos
- Three Thousand Years Of Longing, George Miller
- Novembre, Cédric Jimenez
- Elvis, Baz Luhrmann
- Top Gun: Maverick, Joseph Kosinski
- Hunt, Lee Jung-Jae
- Moonage Daydream, Brett Morgen
- Fumer Fait Tousser, Quentin Dupieux
- Irma Vep, Olivier Assayas
- Dodo, Panos H. Koutras
- Nightfall, Marco Bellocchio
- Nos Frangins, Rachid Bouchareb
- Jerry Lee Lewis: Trouble In Mind, Ethan Coen
- The Natural History Of Destruction, Sergei Loznitsa
- All That Breathes, Shaunak Sen
- The Silent Twins, Agnieszka Smocynska
- The Stranger, Thomas M Wright
- Joyland, Saim Sadiq (first film)
- Rodeo, Lola Quivoron (first film)
- Godland, Hlynur Pálmason
- Butterfly Vision, Maksim Nakonechnyi (first film)
- Corsage, Marie Kreutzer
- Beast, Riley Keough, and Gina Gammell (first film)
- Plan 75, Hayakawa Chie (first film)
- Domingo And The Mist, Ariel Escalante Meza
- Sick Of Myself, Kristoffer Borgli
- All The People I’ll Never Be, Davy Chou
- Metronom, Alexandru Belc (first film)
- Burning Days, Emin Alper
- Les Pires, Lise Akoka and Romane Gueret (first film)
This is not the first time, a Pakistani film screened at the biggest international festival or has been nominated. Zindagi Tamasha Sarmad Khoosat’s film got a nomination at the Busan Film Festival.
What do you think of the story? Tell us in the comments section below.